Batman

Like to pretend you're someone else? Look here!
Prometheus
Shrubbite

Batman

Post by Prometheus » October 1st, 2011, 5:21 pm

Arkham City is coming out soon. I loved the first game. It is the best super hero (I know batman is not really a super hero) game ever. It is so full of tips of the hat to everything batman that a nerd could spend hours (and I did) just doing the side stuff. I am not even a huge batnerd but it was interesting enough for me to research some things on the net.

With the second game coming out I was just fiddling around with more batstuff today and came across this... I present you with the Danvers State Insane Asylum, the inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft's Arkham Sanitarium "which in turn was the inspiration for Arkham Asylum. It is located in Arkham Massachusetts.

-Prommy

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Re: Batman

Post by DarkCow » October 1st, 2011, 11:13 pm

I just finished Arkham Asylum at the behest of Prom (read: constant nagging followed by gifting of said game) I was never that excited for the game, despite all the glowing previews and reviews. Perhaps it was because I was never that much into DC comics, or emo-batman. Or perhaps it was simply because I had been subjected to Superman 64.

Given that the only super hero comics I read growing up were the Fantastic Four, I really enjoyed the backstory bios on all the lesser known villans featured in the game. The game itself is quite fun, although it has some logic issues; namely the "leveling up" and gaining of additional gadgets as the game progresses. It makes sense form a game design point of view, but not at all from a Batman point of view.

The gameplay varies a fair bit, which can usually hurt a game, but it is mostly done quite well. The only thing I can really complain about is the drawn out brawl fest that comprises the final 10 minutes, or so, of gameplay including the final boss.

I had known about the Lovecraftian Connection previously and had hoped they were giving that a full nod with the hidden "arkham chronicles" in the game but, while I have only found about half of them so far, that does not appear to be the case.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » October 1st, 2011, 11:24 pm

While I haven't played the game (Demo only) I do know that there are some rather tricky hidden locations and items in the game. Keep looking/youtubing!

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » October 1st, 2011, 11:27 pm

Actually, the hidden stuff is not as hard as a lot of open world game collectables can be. The riddler is nice enough to provide findable hint maps for every area to point you in the general vicinity of where the hidden things are. I am fairly confident that I'll be able to 100% the game without looking up any walkthroughs, which is rare for a game of this type.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » October 1st, 2011, 11:30 pm

I remember Achievement Hunters (a youtube channel offshoot of Red vs Blue) had a special video for a secret area that was basically a hidden office with a couple of references to the next game. I was basically going off of their treatment of this specific location as being extra special, but again, I haven't played the game.

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » October 1st, 2011, 11:32 pm

Ah, I guess that could be an extra easter egg. I don't spend much time worrying about easter eggs.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » October 1st, 2011, 11:46 pm

Doesn't that end up making the lawn smell funny?

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » October 1st, 2011, 11:47 pm

Probably.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » October 3rd, 2011, 2:52 am

i bought this game but haven't given it the proper run through yet.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No