Deus Ex...

Like to pretend you're someone else? Look here!
Prometheus
Shrubbite

Deus Ex...

Post by Prometheus » September 15th, 2011, 11:25 pm

So I finished Deus Ex...

I am sad that the game is over so I suppose that means it was a good one but reflecting back on the overall experience I am forced to question certain things. It was a good game but it could have been great.

-Graphics- I usually do not care much how a game looks but it should be pointed out that the character animations, specifically the facial animations are abysmal. The rest of the world while not breaking any new ground is nice although some of the environments tend to start to blur together... although that might be the fault of them trying to make everything too "Cyberpunky" It is a bit jarring though that every time you have a conversation (and there are many) that the characters look god awful doing so.

-Overly difficult pace breaking boss fights- for a game that encourages you to level however you want and do things your way it pigeon holes you into combat heavy boss fights. I had built my character up as a stealth heavy hacker who could crack any computer and was much happier sneaking up on some guards and doing them in with some Matrix-ish style takedowns or just shooting them in the ass with a tazer. So when I hit a boss fight where you have no option but to stand and fight with guns ablazing... I got my ass waxed... repeatedly. I only passed one boss fight by getting a few lucky shots in the hitting F5 to save... die... reload.. get a few lucky shots in and save again until done. It took me almost 45 minutes doing it this way.

Those are my two major gripes but it dragged the game down for me. The story is a fun global conspiracy romp and some of the side quests are super fun. I suppose in the end, being a fan of the first Deus Ex, this game came close to living up to that name but ultimately falls short

-Prommy

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Re: Deus Ex...

Post by DarkCow » September 15th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Seems as though you specced for the double post augmentation. Crafty, but I managed to take care of it. [smilie=assassin.gif]

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 16th, 2011, 12:29 am

I noticed you've been cleaning those up. Thanks DC!

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 16th, 2011, 1:24 am

With great mod power comes great mod responsibility!

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » September 16th, 2011, 12:57 pm

After seeing that you had Deus Ex I gathered up my old games and went down to Gamestop on Wednesday. I actually got a great deal because I got the super-uber membership thing a while back and had enough to get two games. Deus Ex was one and Dead Island was the other (I'll start a separate thread for that one). I've only played through the first mission but I was definitely noticing that the facial expressions, especially for a game that relies so heavily on them (could've just used a comlink) were especially bad. All in all I'm sure I'll enjoy the game for what it is, but now that I've read your post I think I'm going to go all-out murderfest on these enemies and just find all the cool alt routes after the smoke clears.

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 16th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I'm enjoying Dead Island but DAMN I wish devs would put in an option to at least tone down the first person perspective sometimes!! [smilie=alcoholic.gif]

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » September 16th, 2011, 10:37 pm

not buying a new game til batman arkham city.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No