Neverwinter

Like to pretend you're someone else? Look here!
Pneuma001
Shrubbite

Neverwinter

Post by Pneuma001 » September 20th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Been a D&D fan, player and DM for many, many years so I am very excited about Neverwinter, the free-to-play game that is supposed to release early next year.

One of the things that I am very excited about is the ability to create your own adventures.

When Neverwinter comes out I plan to create an adventure that is inside a grand cathederal built to honor the Shrub. You will all be there.

Ganeda
Shrubbite

Re: Neverwinter

Post by Ganeda » September 20th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Most interesting... I remember the original version of Neverwinter which was not an MMO, but a multiple player game hosted on someones machine.
Basically you could setup a scenario and save it and others could play it. Great idea but it failed on execution because few people spent the time to create really good scenarios.
I don't know, I generally find playing table top DnD is more fun and less cost than a computerized version of the same. If you have computers, throw out the DnD rules since computers can manage the dynamics differently than a table top game.

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 21st, 2012, 3:00 pm

I'm not a big DND fan, but I'd certainly love to run around with some fellow Shrubs!

Pneuma001
Shrubbite

Post by Pneuma001 » September 21st, 2012, 5:50 pm

I played Neverwinter and attempted to make an adventure. It was hard!

Neverwinter Online's Foundry looks like it will be very quick and simple to make a working adventure. As you said, most people won't take the time to make anything good, which is why I'm excited that there's a rating system. You could play only the highest rated ones. In a game where everyone is allowed to create content, if only 1% of that content is any good then there should still be a heck of a lot of good content.

Neverwinter Online is going to be based on 4th edition rules, which are setup to strongly support movement on a grid and turn-based gameplay, so it will be interesting how they modify some of the abilites to work as a computer game. I think I'd be mostly happy just playing in D&D's Forgotten Realms setting and being able to make my own adventures.

Been playing DDO lately, which sticks surprisingly close to to D&D 3.5 rules. Its F2P now also. Characters I've been playing most are Tinyish, Basya or Corril on the Thelanis server.

Gunslinger74
Shrubbite

Post by Gunslinger74 » September 24th, 2012, 9:34 pm

I have been practicing with the STO Foundry, and its very time consuming, but its really fun. I used to make modules for NWN, and this feature is what will cause me to subscribe to Neverwinter (its FTP otherwise). I am already working on a Shrub module telling our backstory. Maybe we should collaborate!

I am very much looking forward to this game.

Pneuma001
Shrubbite

Post by Pneuma001 » September 26th, 2012, 6:30 pm

It is very unlikely that you will have to have a subscription to Neverwinter in order to use the Foundry. Here's a great video of the CEO(?) of the developer talking about User generated Content. If you skip ahead to about 14:30 he talks specifically about the reasons that they do NOT want to monetize the use of the Foundry in any way.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1775 ... ake_it.php

Pneuma001
Shrubbite

Post by Pneuma001 » September 26th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I'm gonna make a quest called "The Easiest Quest Ever!". The description will indicate that you just have to press a button. It'll drop you into a small room at the feet of a large red dragon. I might also put a button in the next room which unlocks when the dragon dies.

Ganeda
Shrubbite

Post by Ganeda » September 28th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Plans to avoid all quests with easy in the title.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » September 29th, 2012, 12:54 am

*plans to avoid pants*
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No