Diablo 3 beta impressions! NOT FOR THE EYES OF DARKCOW!!

They got lots.....
Prometheus
Shrubbite

Diablo 3 beta impressions! NOT FOR THE EYES OF DARKCOW!!

Post by Prometheus » December 11th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Darkcow will not let me talk to him of beta... so he is not allowed in this thread! I could probably rant a ton here so I will TRY to make this short... if you do not want to know anything about the game then best not read this. Although I will not be going into the story at all.

YOU GOT YOUR WoW IN MY DIABLO!

Well... kinda. I think Blizzard has learned a lot about game design from WoW and it shows in Diablo 3. I do not think this is a bad thing. There are a few eye arching similarities though. The rage building mechanic is almost identical to WoW. The UI is similar. There are pets(more on this in a bit).

The graphics are not exactly what I was expecting. I know it is not meant to be a powerhouse of a graphical game but at first I was a bit surprised how dated it looked. I had seen video before but it is different playing it for yourself. Then I paid attention a bit and there are a few things that stand out. The environments look hand drawn and almost cell shaded and are beautiful. The lighting effects on a 2d/3d really add to the ambiance, the shadows look dark and scary and when there is light it tends to just add a scary flicking glow that is cool. And then the physics... monsters go flying (sometimes out of their own skin) debris is blown everywhere, piles of books get tossed around. At one point a lot of skeletons attacked my barbarian(112 to be exact). The game did not slow down once and I felt like Sauron at the beginning of Fellowship. One swing of my two handed sword sent 6-7 skeletons flying away or exploding into a rain of bone... so it may not look like much at first but it is a nice looking game.

I actually liked the new skill system and I only think had they kept the old one it would feel more like WoW. You unlock skills as you go now and have to assign them to you mouse keys and hotbars. You only start with the two mouse buttons and unlock the additional hotkeys as you level. The first is at level 6. So you have to choose skills that work well together. And leave others behind. I can only imagine this will be cooler once they add the ability to modify those skills with runestones.

I played two classes through beta (which consists of the 1st half of Act 1). It will get to to level 10. The cap in beta is 13.

Wizard: Name- Buff Drinklots

The Sorceress from Diablo 2 was not my favorite class but I really liked the wizard. You start with magic missile which boring but give it a few levels and you can get spectral blade which cuts the air around you or fire an arcane orb which is like a fireball sans fire. Then I got electrocute and never looked back. Firing lightning that can jump between baddies made me feel like a bad ass. So I paired this with ice armor and a wave of force that could send things flying back if they got to close because as you might imagine... wizard be squishy.

Barbarian: Name- Big McLargehuge

They made the Barb fun... That 112 skeleton thing was the coolest thing I ran across in beta. It was part of a mini random event. How do I know it was 112? Challenges! So far I found massacre and destruction challenges. Massacre is for chain killing baddies. If you stop for roughly 2 seconds the chain stops. So keep killing and killing and you get a massacre which gives a small XP bonus and pushes you to beat your personal best... mine was 112. Destruction is for doing the same but with destroying things in the environment. There are also challenges for killing monsters with the environment. While dropping wall on zombies is fun it is not as cool as dropping a flaming chandelier... that never gets old.

Oh right... Barbarian! He has a rage mechanic just like the WoW warrior. Some skills give you rage and some spend it. By the end I found that Cleave (sweeps and hits in an arc in front of you), Leap( just like D2 leap but now actually does things) and rend(a bleed DoT) worked super. I would see a pack of baddies, leap into the center, kick of a rend so they all started bleeding then went to town with cleave sending them flying everywhere. The barbarian actually made me think less of the wizard. His damage output was much higher and he could take a hit. Maybe since it was my second playthrough I just built him up better and I used all crafted gear which seems to be better than the random stuff you find but not quite as good as rares.

Crafting is cool... You can blacksmith in the beta so that might add to my barb being better than my poor wizard. Any item you get you can break down into materials then the blacksmith can make you things. You can level up the blacksmith through training books you find, materials and gold.

Pets! I love pets... I had about 130 in WoW. So that Diablo has pets made me kinda happy. This time through they are useful! You find Scrolls of Companion laying around. Use it and it summons a random pet. The pet will run around and collect any gold laying on the floor for you. They stay out for about 5 minutes before you have to summon another. I got three pets...

A pig! I called him Mr. Piggles

A spider – Her name was Misses Skitters

and a snake – I named him Steve. OK you cannot actually NAME them but I did anyways.

I suppose I should stop now as I am almost at two pages. Next up is the Witch Doctor. I will let you all now what I think.

-Prommy

Kraydl
Shrubbite

Re: Diablo 3 beta impressions! NOT FOR THE EYES OF DARKCOW!!

Post by Kraydl » December 11th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Really enjoyed D2. Looking forward to 3.
Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.   -John Wayne

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » December 11th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Rottencock
Shrubbite

Post by Rottencock » December 11th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Just snorted coffee all over my youngest. Thanks DC.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » December 11th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Awesome review!

And also, I want a Spider Pig

Mephisto
Shrubbite

Post by Mephisto » December 13th, 2011, 6:23 am

DC clearly is crazy, but I look forward to your next post!
Battle.net ID: OOSena#1413
EVE-Online: Zakneifein
World of Warcraft - Greymane (PvE) Alliance
The <SoS> unofficial guild - MEGATRAIN
SmalliusGius - Mage | Roflsaurus - Death Knight | Lolcano - Hunter

Kraydl
Shrubbite

Post by Kraydl » March 15th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Yeah, I'll be all over this... just like D2.

Mephisto
Shrubbite

Post by Mephisto » March 16th, 2012, 2:34 am

D3 IS BEING RELEASED MAY 15!!!!
http://us.battle.net/en/int?r=d3
Battle.net ID: OOSena#1413
EVE-Online: Zakneifein
World of Warcraft - Greymane (PvE) Alliance
The <SoS> unofficial guild - MEGATRAIN
SmalliusGius - Mage | Roflsaurus - Death Knight | Lolcano - Hunter

Kraydl
Shrubbite

Post by Kraydl » March 16th, 2012, 2:07 pm

$60 ouch.

I know nothing about 3. Couldn't get a beta invite.

Is it like 2 in that you can play with a max of 4 real people co-op on battlenet, and
local ip lan hosting of 4 people is a separate loot/character database?

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » March 17th, 2012, 10:39 am

60 bucks is the norm nowadays...

Up to 4 people in one game yeah... but it is all through battlenet. Diablo 3 has to have an internet connection or you cannot play it. Any "game" you play is on their servers even if you go it single player. That keeps the cheaters from cheatin... so no LAN diablo. Also the 4 people will always be friendly with each other. There is no unwanted PKing in D3... there will be PvP Areans for that kinda thing (To be added in a patch after launch)

-Prommy

Kraydl
Shrubbite

Post by Kraydl » March 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm

If guildies from here play it, is there a way for them to hook up? Is it just through a friends list or is there some guild mechanism?

Strife
Shrubbite

Post by Strife » March 17th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Kraydl wrote:If guildies from here play it, is there a way for them to hook up? Is it just through a friends list or is there some guild mechanism?

Would be sweet if that's the case. Diablo is one of those games I just never got around to playing for some reason so hopeing D3 rocks and gives me good memory like those old school gems use to..

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » March 22nd, 2012, 6:44 pm

Pretty sure it will just be through your Bnet friends list. I have not heard anything about Diablo guilds...

-Prommy