Diablo 3 Beta

They got lots.....
Prometheus
Shrubbite

Re: Diablo 3 Beta

Post by Prometheus » September 23rd, 2011, 12:12 pm

As much as I love zelda I would have to disagree... Picking a top franchise is hard. Zelda hardly ever shows anything new. Since Ocarina it has pretty much been the same game over and over. GREAT games yes but it starts to wear a bit thin. Spirit Tracks on the DS was so much like Phantom Hourglass that I stopped caring half way through. Wind Waker could be singled out since they went so off chart with the cell shaded graphics and water overworld. I have a hard time getting too excited over Skyward Sword because it looks pretty much the same with added Wii-waggling.

Chrono Trigger holds a special place in my heart. It might be one of the best RPG games ever. I have a hard time picking a favorite game of all time because that is like choosing one of your own kids.

Diablo 2 took the foundations of Diablo and blew them out of the water. It was a sequel that felt instantly familiar yet was vastly different and new. The added multiplayer on Bnet brought a groundbreaking new way to play to PC games. The game was a trailblazer

Of course... I should also mention that PC games and console games should be split into two different categories. It is kind of unfair. Would be like having George Foreman of today who is pimpin grills fight the George Foreman of 40 years ago when he fought Ali...

-Prommy

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 23rd, 2011, 12:25 pm

I missed the sixteen bit console generation. I was busying playing PC games.

I did go BACK and play many of the top super Nintendo games of the time, without the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia clouding my view. Zelda has been stagnant since ocarina, and even that wasn't as much of a leap as most make it out to be. A Link to the Past was amazing and mind blowing for its time, I agree, but the series is wholly not the greatest of all time. If a console franchise would be able to take that crown it would have to be Mario; that guy does everything.

I also played all the way through Chronotrigger past its hay-day. It is an impressive JRPG but it can't hold a candle to Baldur's Gate or the goldbox series it built upon.

The greatest game of all time is actually pretty easy for me; Half-Life, for quickly turning an entire stagnating genre and turning it on its head.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » September 23rd, 2011, 5:25 pm

DarkCow wrote:I missed the sixteen bit console generation. I was busying playing PC games.

I did go BACK and play many of the top super Nintendo games of the time, without the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia clouding my view. Zelda has been stagnant since ocarina, and even that wasn't as much of a leap as most make it out to be. A Link to the Past was amazing and mind blowing for its time, I agree, but the series is wholly not the greatest of all time. If a console franchise would be able to take that crown it would have to be Mario; that guy does everything.

I also played all the way through Chronotrigger past its hay-day. It is an impressive JRPG but it can't hold a candle to Baldur's Gate or the goldbox series it built upon.

The greatest game of all time is actually pretty easy for me; Half-Life, for quickly turning an entire stagnating genre and turning it on its head.

surely ye must jest.
In what realm of reality is baldur's gate better than chrono trigger?!
I played baldur's gate.. i really tried to like it. But, man, i just couldn't. Too boring. No action. Felt like grinding.
No story that i cared about.

Chrono Trigger, however.. oh man, i can still remember the first time I went to Magus' Castle and had to fight.
Or the first time I defeated Lavos. Or the first time I got the Crono Trigger egg and saved Crono. Or when I beat Spekkio at the End of Time and got some kick ass new powers. Or the first time I saw Frog turn into Glenn. Or the first time I realized that if you water the plant in 1200 BC, in 600 AD that sandpit thing appears. Or when you find out Lucas mom's name by typing it in the controller (LARA).

Oh man, the only thing i remember about baldur's gate is dying alot and hacking it so i can play with Drizzt Do'Urden.
THAT"S IT.

Also.. Half-Life is pretty cool.. but.. i dunno. Can't say it's my favorite.
I prefer the humor of Portal myself.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Seems finally a "larger" batch of public opt-in invites went out yesterday/last night.

I didn't get one of course... but there are actually a decent number of people posting that they got in.