What are you reading/Have read recently?

Want to talk about Art, Books, and awesome Culinary Experience pick up a pen and write about it.
LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Re: What are you reading/Have read recently?

Post by LadyCelestine » September 28th, 2011, 2:09 am

Mephisto wrote:I read Bloomberg Businessesweek, The Economist, WSJ and NYT, the first two once or twice a week and the latter two every other day.

Ok now I'm scared.....

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » September 28th, 2011, 2:10 am

LadyCelestine wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I read Bloomberg Businessesweek, The Economist, WSJ and NYT, the first two once or twice a week and the latter two every other day.

Ok now I'm scared.....

You sure Mephisto isn't going Sith?

Gunslinger74
Shrubbite

Post by Gunslinger74 » September 28th, 2011, 2:14 am

I should also be getting "The Electric Universe" by David Talbott and Wallace Thornhill for my birthday on Sunday... 37, baby!

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » November 5th, 2011, 11:46 am

Ok, this thread needed a revive anyway.

Neal Stephenson's latest book REAMDE has been keeping me sane while waiting for SWTOR to release. The book revolves around how a virus infecting players of an MMO takes a number of people on a journey across a good portion of the planet. It has Russian mafia, Muslim terrorists, draft dodging drug smugglers and much much more. The entire game revolves around the MMO, which sounds pretty awesome and has thus far kept the void where an MMO should be filled.

I'm listening to the audiobook during my daily drive to and from work and it definitely makes the commute more interesting.

Tauru
Shrubbite

Post by Tauru » November 5th, 2011, 5:44 pm

I've been reading Patrick Rothfus "The Wise Man's Fear", which has been chewing away my spare time.

There is just such a level of difference in authors. Rothfus’ book has smooth sentences that I don't notice I am reading, characters with subtly personalization; the general story is interesting; and a pending sense of something grand and epic happening.

I tried to read some of the Star Wars books but like most "serial" books based on another source I found it lacking. I find the writing to be either ineloquent, flat, or hard to read, probably because the author needs to ship out 4 books this year and doesn’t have time to spend cleaning it up. Or the concepts are farfetched for me. By farfetched I mean like being to use the Force to generate a shield or breathe in solid earth, I don't remember those from the movies. Maybe if the universe had introduced the abilities slowly to me I could accept it, but it just so sudden.
ImageImage

Rottencock
Shrubbite

Post by Rottencock » November 5th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Do mine eyes deceive me? Netties returned to Stephenson! Good on you, mate! I didn't realize reamde had released, have to download that to my kindle as soon As I get home. Few things get my literary juices flowing like a new Stephenson novel, except maybe China Mieville or Ian M Banks. Thanks for the good news.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » November 6th, 2011, 3:15 am

Am I the only one who dislikes World War Z?
I just can't seem to get interested in that book. I'll be so glad when it is over.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

Gunslinger74
Shrubbite

Post by Gunslinger74 » November 6th, 2011, 4:16 am

Moltar wrote:Am I the only one who dislikes World War Z?
I just can't seem to get interested in that book. I'll be so glad when it is over.

Guess the movie is going to annoy you, then...

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » November 6th, 2011, 4:28 am

if it's as disjointed, yeah, it probably will
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » November 6th, 2011, 5:58 am

Actually, yeah... I disliked the style of WWZ quite a bit actually. I was rather let down.

Rottencock
Shrubbite

Post by Rottencock » November 6th, 2011, 7:23 pm

your not alone. Max Brooks is a hack who just managed to be in the right place at the right time to cash in on the zombie renaissance. With any luck the hollywood focus group types will rewrite it until its totally unrecognizable.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » November 7th, 2011, 10:35 am

I actually liked WWZ. It's Mel Brooks' son, c'mon now.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » November 8th, 2011, 4:59 am

I dunno.. i just find it... hard to care? there is no main storyline, just a bunch of disjointed events.

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » November 8th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I'm with you Moltie. I found myself wishing for way more of some sections and way less of others. Finally I just gave up.

Shaddo
Shrubbite

Post by Shaddo » November 8th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Hmm, that's not good news. My fellow barkeep just gave me a copy...w/ a ribbon on it no less. Thus, i shall have to read the entirety of't.
Recent reads here include Jonathan's Lethem's Chronic City, Patrick McGrath's Trauma & the Bane trilogy. My favorite author, Haruki Murakami, has a new book out as well but i'll be saving that for the "perfect" moment.
Fancy Sig