What are you reading/Have read recently?

Want to talk about Art, Books, and awesome Culinary Experience pick up a pen and write about it.
DarkCow
Shrubbite

What are you reading/Have read recently?

Post by DarkCow » September 8th, 2011, 3:23 am

Howdy folks, with my return to school, (which ironically will rob me of much of my time for pleasure reading) I thought I would steer the forum to something scholarly for a bit.

So, what literary exploits have you undertaken recently?

Under Prom's recommendation (and gift of the book itself) I finally got around to reading book one of the Kingslayer Chronicle The Name of the Wind. It is pretty good fantasy, and the "universe" it is based in would make great fodder for an MMO, really.

I also chewed through The Hunger Games in two days, probably the best young adult book I've ever read; (unless you count the hobbit as young adult, I guess) think Tarantino meets Ender's Game and you'd have a pretty good idea.

I'm in the middle of book two of the trilogy now and am looking forward to the upcoming movies staring the stunning Jennifer "I'd Bone her Winter" Lawrence.

That's me, how about you guys, gals, and Moltar?

For Netty:

lostkangaroo
High Prophet

Re: What are you reading/Have read recently?

Post by lostkangaroo » September 8th, 2011, 3:48 am

I have been working on the latest book in the Wheel of Time Series. Nyamo got me started back in the day and I still have the last book (not released yet) to go. I also have picked up the TOR book but haven't cracked it yet as I am waiting on a review from Ewia.

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 8th, 2011, 3:57 am

Ah, the great white whale of fantasy. I have book one of the wheel of time in my room. I read the special newly tacked on prologue included with my edition and the bizarre disjointed jump in the narrative turned me off so much I kinda just put it aside and never went back.

I'm also asking for the boxed set of the first four Game of Thrones books for Christmas (it'll be here sooner than you think! :-P)

Ewia Ficom
Shrubbite

Post by Ewia Ficom » September 8th, 2011, 6:20 am

I haven't gotten into the Star Wars book quite yet, I'm on the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne at the moment. Then the star wars book, then game of thrones, then the hobbit... yes i never read that or lord of the rings. There is another book by Tolkien here I bought months ago i haven't read yet. There are lots of things to read here that i haven't. LOL and when I start playing Swtor reading is most likely gonna go out the window. I remember when Lokke told me I was a light reader, as a Hermit living alone in his house light reader is no longer me LOL. I do miss the fact that i can't just drive across the bridge and pick up some books from you Lokke :(

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » September 8th, 2011, 10:25 am

I just finished book two in the Kingslayer Chronicle... "A Wise Man's Fear." And now I am reading a game of thrones finally. I actually tried reading thrones at least twice before and got bogged down at the start. Awesome books though... if a bit fooked up

-Prommy

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » September 8th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Prom and I had a pretty good discussion about books when we hung out and I think it a fantastic idea to have this thread. I'll throw out a few books which I'll list below that I feel are an absolute necessity for any Sci-Fi/Fantasy reader. I'll omit the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Ender's Game series because I'm assuming everyone here already knows how awesome they are.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Three of my favorite Neil Gaiman books. If you subscribe to Audible then I recommend them as the narration is awesome IMHO.

The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, Book 1) by Stephen R. Lawhead
The Siege of Dome (Empyrion, Book 2) by Stephen R. Lawhead
These two I read very long ago but I remember them fondly. It has to do with accidental time travel while transiting space and the attributed isolation of two factions of marooned people. From what I recall it was a good read.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash was the ultimate normal Sci-Fi to Cyberpunk bridge. If you leave this off of your list then you are doing yourself a disservice. Be forewarned though, aside from this book which is awesome, everything Neal Stephenson writes is long winded and never ends decently.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
Seriously though, it's Heinlein, I need say no more. The man defines Sci-Fi and these two books are two of my favorite books of all time.

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card
OSC mostly writes young adult books and this one I'd say is slightly closer to adult than most. Very interesting premise and all around intriguing.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
The Magician King by Lev Grossman
A dark and cynical depiction of modern day magicians with some severe mental issues. You'll either love them or hate them but I couldn't put the books down. Also worth the Audible listen.

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
A Russian writer who translates fairly well to English. If you've seen the movies Night Watch and Day Watch don't worry, they're nothing like the books so you haven't spoiled the experience. I also liked this series on Audible

Signal to Noise by Eric S. Nylund
A Signal Shattered by Eric S. Nylund
Two fantastic diamonds in the rough. The man writes books based on the Halo universe now, of all things, but these two books were amazing in their Sci-Fi ness. Highly recommended.

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 8th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Ewia Ficom wrote:I haven't gotten into the Star Wars book quite yet, I'm on the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne at the moment. Then the star wars book, then game of thrones, then the hobbit... yes i never read that or lord of the rings. There is another book by Tolkien here I bought months ago i haven't read yet. There are lots of things to read here that i haven't. LOL and when I start playing Swtor reading is most likely gonna go out the window. I remember when Lokke told me I was a light reader, as a Hermit living alone in his house light reader is no longer me LOL. I do miss the fact that i can't just drive across the bridge and pick up some books from you Lokke :(

You are no longer welcome here.

Wow, Netrok went all Lavar Burton on us! [smilie=sarcastic_hand.gif]

Just kidding! I loved that show and your post is awesome. I am going to have to check some of those out once I'm done drowning in fantasy. As far as Sci-Fi goes, one cannot go wrong with Issac Asimov, he's a nuanced writer but he 3 laws books and anything from the early Foundation series are epic.

Netrok
Shrubbite

Post by Netrok » September 8th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Being compared to Levar Burton has to be one of the greatest honors I've received to date!

Asimov is indeed another defining author in the Sci-Fi genre! His three laws have shaped the development of our visions of robotics and artificial intelligence.

There are many more amazing authors out there, I'll make certain to bring them to everyone's attention as soon as think or discover them.

Gunslinger74
Shrubbite

Post by Gunslinger74 » September 8th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Re-read "Replay" by Ken Grimwood recently.

Going to start "The Electric Universe" by Wallace Thornhill and David Talbott soon.

lostkangaroo
High Prophet

Post by lostkangaroo » September 8th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I can't stop hitting play on the Reading Rainbow clip. Curse you PBS for being a huge part of my childhood.

Ewia Ficom
Shrubbite

Post by Ewia Ficom » September 8th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Fine I'm not welcome here :( blah the world does hate me lol

lostkangaroo
High Prophet

Post by lostkangaroo » September 8th, 2011, 7:04 pm

click on the video you will feel better :)

DarkCow
Shrubbite

Post by DarkCow » September 8th, 2011, 8:18 pm

lostkangaroo wrote:click on the video you will feel better :)

Truth :D

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 9th, 2011, 12:56 am

Just finished the newest Dresden novel, Ghost Story. Currently on Dewey the Library Cat.

I'd like to second Ender's Game and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galxy as required reading. (And no, not the movie!!) Unabridged Audible is acceptible, however.

Lokke will have a bunch, but I might also add some of our favorites. (The first five series you don't have to read the books in order, but it's helpful.)

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » September 9th, 2011, 4:42 am

I'll second The Dresden Files... Oh man, the last book in the series that I read, "Changes", was balls-out amazing.
I want to pick up the next book pretty soon.

Lately I've been trying to get through World War Z. It's... okay. It's not epic, it's just alot of complaining. I don't see what the big deal is.

Before that, I finally read "The Neverending Story". Yes, THAT Neverending Story (from the 80's movie). The movie really only tells the first part of the book, though, so it was pretty epic to finally get the whole story. Also, beware.. there are PLENTY of shrubicorn in that book, and they are subtle so you don't even really realize it until later. And that's the english translation of the original German. I can't even imagine all of the stuff that left out of the translation. Truly epic book.

I think after World War Z I have the Hobbit lined up. Yes, i've never read the Hobbit (mostly because I only recently picked it up from the Secondhand Bookstore).

After that.. who knows.. I have read the first Twilight book, but not the second. Ugh, I wanted to punch Bella in the ovary so hard for being a retard. It was sort of fun to read a book where you absolutely hate the main character for being such a cliche "girly woman", no offense to real, multidimensional women out there.

Also, i've got some of the Sookie Stackhouse books to burn through... I LOVE True Blood (the show), but have yet to read any of the books. I mean, come on, they kill of Lafayette in the first damn book. This alone makes them not as cool as the show. I so so gay <3 Layfette.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No