[Movie] The Dark Knight Rises (spoilers)

Want to talk about Art, Books, and awesome Culinary Experience pick up a pen and write about it.
LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Re: [Movie] The Dark Knight Rises (spoilers)

Post by LadyCelestine » July 31st, 2012, 1:09 pm

Don't dish it if you can't take it. You know the rules. :p

I really enjoyed the movie. Were there plot holes and inconsistencies? Sure. Some things were so terribly obvious they might as well have had billboards posted with [air_quotes] plot spoilers [air_quotes].

For Bane, I thought Tom Hardy did a pretty good job, except for sounding like Sean Connery the whole time. (I actually found that part pretty damn distracting every time he opened his mouth. I mean, am I really the only one that noticed?) As for it not being "the Bane you know and love"..... well, keep in mind that The Dark Knight isn't the same Batman that so many people grew up with way back when. New interpretations can have their issues, but they can also provide an awesome new reinterpretation. You can't claim to be a purist and still love the Dark Knight. And trust me, the old Batman would've been killed by Bane in a heartbeat.

But honestly my biggest complaint was Chris Nolan not taking full advantage of his wonderful cast. I felt all of the 'emotionally invested' scenes were stilted and cut short. For example...
Spoiler:
They never really showed you WHY Bruce had become a recluse? Was it because he hung up his cape? Because Rachel died? Who was Rachel again? J/K but seriously..... there was NOTHING in the film to indicate why this woman's death would cause him to become a recluse for a decade and then turn his back on his only family. That whole scene where Alfred tells Bruce the truth should've had a lot more emotional impact than it did.

Despite (IMO) focusing too much on silly things like INCESSANT flashbacks of the child climbing and not enough on good fights or pivotal character builders.... I really enjoyed it. Batman is a romp, a rollicking good time. There will always be things to not like, but as a fan of "action movies are made to provide mindless entertainment" movies... I still give it two thumbs up. :-bd

pho
Shrubbite

Post by pho » July 31st, 2012, 11:50 pm

it's been fun having a discussion about this movie, but i'm moving my batman hopes on to the dark knight returns animated movie. i'm afraid it'll be Jawa Poodoo, but god wouldn't give me two poodoolishous batman movies that i hate in a row, right?

...right, god?

...you wouldn't do that, wouldja?

::remembers batman & robin/batman forever::

....crap.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » August 1st, 2012, 12:13 am

pho wrote:it's been fun having a discussion about this movie, but i'm moving my batman hopes on to the dark knight returns animated movie. i'm afraid it'll be Jawa Poodoo, but god wouldn't give me two poodoolishous batman movies that i hate in a row, right?

...right, god?

...you wouldn't do that, wouldja?

::remembers batman & robin/batman forever::

....crap.

There is no such thing as god. Only the Shrub can save your soul.. and your Batman troubles. (aside from maybe Batman himself)
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » August 1st, 2012, 12:28 am

Hmm.... what if in the next one it's revealed that Batman/Bruce Wayne was all really just a secret identity cover-up for the Holy Floating Shrub? [smilie=heart.gif]

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » August 1st, 2012, 2:32 am

LadyCelestine wrote:Hmm.... what if in the next one it's revealed that Batman/Bruce Wayne was all really just a secret identity cover-up for the Holy Floating Shrub? [smilie=heart.gif]

OMg, it'd be like a Swamp Thing v Batman crossover event.. OMG, it would be awesome. Except, whenever they show the shrub, it'd be like the damn SHIELD Helicarrier... the whole thing would be the Shrub.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No