Books: need more input!!

Want to talk about Art, Books, and awesome Culinary Experience pick up a pen and write about it.
lokke
Shrubbite

Books: need more input!!

Post by lokke » June 17th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Hello my fellow shrubbites!!

I am a huge bookwyrm, I read a ton...so im making a post about books, but not about any books but unique books that wont make the best sellers list but have a nice 'flavour' of their own. I plan on putting pics and a shory summary on the books with the highs and lows, breaking it down by how well written, if its an easy read (i.e 'brain-candy') and other points as well. Im going to do my best to aoid 'popular authors' as well if you read you know of them already and focus on authors just coming into the field or ones that just never hit mainstream.

Moltar
Shrubbite

Re: Books: need more input!!

Post by Moltar » June 18th, 2012, 2:09 am

Dresden Files books
category: braincandy
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

Ewia Ficom
Shrubbite

Post by Ewia Ficom » June 18th, 2012, 4:17 am

Kevin Hearne.

Iron Druid Chronicles

Kesnit
Shrubbite

Post by Kesnit » June 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

Ewia Ficom wrote:Kevin Hearne.

Iron Druid Chronicles

I second this.

pho
Shrubbite

Post by pho » June 18th, 2012, 9:08 pm

geek love by katherine dunn

circus family, dad keeps mom hopped up on all kinds of weird chemicals in order to produce his own sideshow freaks. very, very strange. i love it.

Ewia Ficom
Shrubbite

Post by Ewia Ficom » June 19th, 2012, 3:11 am

Pho, Sarna told me you don't know how to read lol

pho
Shrubbite

Post by pho » June 19th, 2012, 7:02 am

he was telling the truth. i threaten others into reading aloud for me. i also make them type my forum posts.

windswept
SOS Chapter Leader

Post by windswept » June 19th, 2012, 11:11 am

Anything and everything David Gemmell. (Pretty much all high fantasy, very gritty and realistic aside from the whole, you know, magic and stuff.)

The man's stories and characters have so much depth he makes me want to cry and never try to write again. *_*
Guildmaster: SWTOR Republic
<Servants of the Shrub>

Kinri: Commando | Cyradis: Jedi Shadow
Dak'eyras: Marauder | Zotoh: Sorcerer

Kesnit
Shrubbite

Post by Kesnit » June 19th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Renegade Rising by J.C. Fiske. I borrowed it from the Amazon Library and got hooked. There is also a sequel, which I have not gotten to yet. (Supposedly, the third book will come out next year.)

lokke
Shrubbite

Post by lokke » June 19th, 2012, 9:10 pm

First review:

Salamander; by Thomas Wharton

Set in Eighteenth century London, a printer named Nicholas Flood is a collector of unusual books. Books that fit inside one another that have a few words, books that are half written tales, books that contain the sounds of waves crashing or a forest in the rain. His collection is little known but catches the attention of an eccentric Slovakian count who upon learning of its owner summons Flood to his castle. The true nature of the castle is an ever-changing labyrinth that exemplifies the counts obsession with puzzles. Flood is invited to the castle and commissioned by the count to write an 'infinite book', the ultimate never ending story. From this point Flood sets out into the world seeking the bits and pieces of his own obsession which leads him to probe the nature of books, the human thirst for knowledge, and the writers pursuit of immortality through prose. Salamander careens through myth and metaphor blending a real world with the worlds found in books.

The good:
If you like a book that will inspire you to think then this story is for you. Filled with a few words that may require a dictionary for, it’s written with the time period the story is set in mind. It raises quite a few questions about why people write and where their stories come from, the emotions that drive them and a bit of how it can be a struggle to convey those things trapped inside oneself on paper. Most of the story is easily followed, but there are times when the author is trying to make you feel as its 'your story' which could be a bit confusing. (Think Stephen king ‘thee dark tower' series) Overall the book satisfies the brainy person in your head with a lot of questions being raised along the way.

The Bad:
Not an easy read! It’s wordy at times and is a book best tackled all by itself. What I mean by that is, if you are the person who reads more than 1 book at a time that is probably not the best idea here. The interweaving of 2 plots in the book (Floods quest for the infinite book and the mystery of the castle/count) are not easily tracked if you put the book down for too long and you will find yourself reading sections over to remember what’s going on. (I mean no insult to anyone; I’m basing this on the "average reader's" reading habits) Goib and I use the term Brain-candy for an easy read and this would definitely not be that. The writer’s style can be a bit tough to follow but once you are invested in the book it fits. There are a few places where the story gets bogged down but they can be easily pushed through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.