(TV) The Walking Dead

Want to talk about Art, Books, and awesome Culinary Experience pick up a pen and write about it.
Manurnakey
Shrubbite

(TV) The Walking Dead

Post by Manurnakey » February 23rd, 2012, 8:44 pm

Anyone else disappointed with where the new The Walking Dead episodes are going? I understand they are being produced by a new company. It seems to me like they started out action/adventure...then when they hit the farm they became more drama...and now are trying to do horror/gore splashed with Soap Opera plots. I mean really - this whole Desdemona and Othello and Iago shtick is already lame and they just started building tension.

It seems like they were trying to say that Rick was someone who didn't change for the worse with the apocalypse while Shane changed horribly - but now I'm not seeing that as much. And Lori is so unlikable now with the whole "he thinks I'm his property" crap! And I liked Glenn as kinda the untainted still innocent and good hearted guy - why did they mess with Glenn???? /sigh The Rick is putting the needs of the group ahead of everyone else - with the exception of this total stranger that was shooting at us, of course.

As far as the newly sprinkled Gore, Pure is more tolerant of it than I. A guy with an impaled leg..."we're gonna cut it off with a pocket knife" - Seriously? That's the best you could come up with?

Azure

Lohengrin
Shrubbite

Re: (TV) The Walking Dead

Post by Lohengrin » February 23rd, 2012, 9:06 pm

At the end of season 2 (or the half-season finale, I guess) I posted on my FB that Walking Dead was borderline unwatchable now. I hated it ... I wanted the entire group to die a horrible death. The only people I sorta like are Daryl and Glenn (and Herschel now), though Dale is tolerable; the rest can become zombie chow. Rick is the most incompetent leader in the history of the universe, and I'm tired of watching him scrunch his face and pout as he's trying to be dramatic; Shane was never likable, Lori I wanted to die from the very first episode, Carl should be dead for being so stupid as to approach a wild animal (and blaming the hunter??? wtf). I wanted to punch Dale for talking Andrea out of suiciding herself. T-Dog should be killed for having a stupid name in-show and out (ironE? Seriously?) The half-way finale was something of a saving grace of that abortion of a season 2, and it started back up okay ... but I would be perfectly happy if Daryl and Glenn left to form a group of non-morons, leaving the Rick-ites to die to stupidity
Common sense isn't

verily
Shrubbite

Post by verily » February 23rd, 2012, 9:28 pm

The show has been boring me as of late. They desperately need to get off the farm and kill off Lori in the process; all of her drama drags the show down. I mean, heck, they killed off Sophia.

Mephisto
Shrubbite

Post by Mephisto » February 23rd, 2012, 10:15 pm

Yea, it's definitely become a lot slower. I didn't know that they had switched production companies?
Maybe this is why Spartacus isn't as interesting as it was either.
Battle.net ID: OOSena#1413
EVE-Online: Zakneifein
World of Warcraft - Greymane (PvE) Alliance
The <SoS> unofficial guild - MEGATRAIN
SmalliusGius - Mage | Roflsaurus - Death Knight | Lolcano - Hunter

Shaddo
Shrubbite

Post by Shaddo » February 24th, 2012, 12:42 am

I've found the entirety of it very enjoyable. It has been paced a bit slower than the first couple episodes, but... It's zombies...on TV...done well. Zombies!
I hope Morgan comes back soon. That dude's a great actor & his character's badass.
The 'opera'iness' of it doesn't both me...Rocky Horror Picture Show anyone?
Fancy Sig

Gunslinger74
Shrubbite

Post by Gunslinger74 » February 24th, 2012, 3:00 pm

My opinion is based solely off watching the show, and I know nothing of the comic.

I have been a fan of the show since I watched it all the way through on netflix a while back. I actually watched only the last few episodes of Season 2 on a weekly basis. With that, its seemed more like one big long movie to me without the excruciating waits between episodes, and with that, I haven't had any of the "dragging" or "slow" problems yet. I pretty much agree with everyone's assessment of the characters. They are building up to a confrontation between Shane and Rick (which apparently is going to happen in the next episode this Sunday). My wife actually said "Is she really trying to talk him into killling Shane??" at the end of the last Episode. Of course, Lori has her own personal reasons for wanting that. If you're actually hating characters and wanting them dead, that is either very good acting or very good writing, or both, in my opinion. The show is definitely gritty and real (for the most part), and deals pretty honestly with how people might react and behave in a scenario when there are no rules left to follow except those we place on ourselves. There are the predictable and necessary archetype characters that build tension (although some of the tensions are kind of dragged out too long for my taste).

I don't mind admitting it among friends, but I literally cried the first time I saw the end of Season 2 (and even got a little misty when I watched it the second time with my wife). Maybe I'm getting older and more senile, but that takes alot of investment for me. I think many of you are feeling the way about the characters you are because its intended that you feel that way about them. Rick has been the hero, and his character is being taken down a darker "anti-hero" type path. Shane went from doing the best he could as best he knew how to outright socio/psychopath, and its been revealed that love has driven him to that (although there's no excuse for his facial expressions - that's just bad acting). The show is really fantastically written. Characters that stay the same, although somehow comforting, get boring and stale. Our personal frustrations come when our expectations are challenged or outright derailed. We are being manipulated perfectly by people who understand how minds work (at least it seems that way to me so far). Good Drama doesn't just happen, and there's a reason some storytellers are better than others. Sure there's great material to work with, but I have to tip my hats to the writing staff. Of course Season 3 just started, so whether I'm right or not remains to be seen.

Lohengrin
Shrubbite

Post by Lohengrin » February 24th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I haven't read the comics either, so I don't have that context - one of my issues IS with the acting, at least with Rick. I don't think he's a good actor, and every time he scrunches his face and juts out his jaw while trying to be serious I want a zombie to jump out and bite it off. It's a shame, because I agree with his philosophy - preserving what little humanity and good there is left - if not with the way he implements it (hey, let's split up in zombie-infested areas and not give everyone a weapon, and while we're at it let my son approach a wild animal in a world where wild game is a luxury).

I understand wanting to show complex characters and vulnerabilities, but I would at least like to watch a show where I didn't actively ROOT for half the cast to get killed. Literally, every single episode I am begging for Lori to die - I was so hoping that the car crash scene would be it ... alas, I have to wait longer.
Common sense isn't

Shaddo
Shrubbite

Post by Shaddo » February 24th, 2012, 5:19 pm

hmmm...Grin, it seems you should stop watching it as you seem to enjoy somewhere around none of it.

Jersey Shore is s'posed to be a popular show. Maybe that's the ticket! ;)
Fancy Sig

Lohengrin
Shrubbite

Post by Lohengrin » February 24th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Shaddo wrote:hmmm...Grin, it seems you should stop watching it as you seem to enjoy somewhere around none of it.

Jersey Shore is s'posed to be a popular show. Maybe that's the ticket! ;)

Oh man, I can't watch reality TV ... I actually loved the first season, and I enjoyed the last episode of season 2 (or rather the half-season finale). And I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes in the next ... er, half season. Some of what I say is hyperbole (I know, it's tough to get in the forums). I'll keep watching it, overall I enjoy it, I just won't shed a tear if half of the main cast gets zombified
Common sense isn't

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » February 24th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Lohengrin wrote:Literally, every single episode I am begging for Lori to die - I was so hoping that the car crash scene would be it ... alas, I have to wait longer.

OMG YES!!!

Actually, I dont even care if she dies as much as I just want to FREAKING SLAP HER FOR BEING WHINEY AND STUPID. But I do admit that she represents a very real segment of humanity. (Which is also why I try to avoid leaving the house. Slapping random strangers tends to lead to jail time.) Shane has been psycho for awhile, and dear god WHY did Daryl talk whats-her-name out of suicide? Seriously??? She wants to opt out, let her! Then I won't have to slap her for being stupid and self-centered.

Yes, Rick is incredibly whiney and his priorities are screwed up. But at least his heart is in the right place and he's trying. Dale sees more than people give him credit for, but he doesn't have the spine to back it up. (Seriously. One more 'accident' and the Shane problem is history. And who here doesn't think that Shane will try to claim "his" baby?) And after the "Nebraska" episode I kinda have new hope that he's finally realizing the world has changed. And yes, Shane needs to die, but Lori trying to manipulate Rick into doing it for her is just sickening. I'm just waiting for Merle to come back.

Shaddo
Shrubbite

Post by Shaddo » February 25th, 2012, 1:14 am

What did you say? Who's whining about my whining?
Fancy Sig

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » February 25th, 2012, 6:12 am

I saw the first two episodes of Season I and I thought it was pretty good.
man, i should probably watch it more.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » February 25th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Moltar wrote:I saw the first two episodes of Season I and I thought it was pretty good.
man, i should probably watch it more.

YES YES YES

Lohengrin
Shrubbite

Post by Lohengrin » February 26th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Common sense isn't

Rottencock
Shrubbite

Post by Rottencock » February 27th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Meh, anything to kill time until season two of "Game of Thrones"!!!!!