Post by Prometheus » September 13th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Just read this site...

www.walkinggamer.wordpress.com

-Prommy

Netrok
Shrubbite

Re: What Prometheus has been up to...

Post by Netrok » September 13th, 2012, 10:08 pm

You sir, are awesome. I commend this project and you for doing it!

Also, be careful out there on the road, 36 days is a helluva long time. Bring mace, something pointy, a GPS tracker so people will know you're safe, and also so you'll know where you're going. I'm sure you've thought of all that, but I figured it was worth mentioning it in the off chance you didn't.

And may the Holy Floating Shrub be with you!

lostkangaroo
High Prophet

Post by lostkangaroo » September 13th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Holy Awesome and WOW! Prom are you sure about it though California is a long ways from Virginia. Either way you have the full support of the Shrubbite community and I will make it known to everyone I know of this project, gaming community reps and so forth. Who knows you might even get some sponsors for the journey if the cards fall right.

Either way though your journey will be watched by me the entire way, good luck and the wind at your back.

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » September 14th, 2012, 12:06 am

I wish it were only going to take 36 days. I have been in contact with people who have done this and it took them about six months. They were also younger than I and also had good knees. I am guessing it will take me 7-8. There is a lot of planning going into this and I am certainly not going about it willy nilly hence the rougly seven months of prep time. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them. The more people I talk to about it the more angles I can get covered. For instance Netty... something sharp, yes I will be carrying a knife. Something spray-ish. I will be carrying bear spray, mostly for wild life threats but it would work wonders on people too. :)

-Prommy

Rottencock
Shrubbite

Post by Rottencock » September 14th, 2012, 5:11 am

What an amazing adventure! I am in awe of your ambition sir, and not a little envious. Best of fortune to you on your journey. I'd love to take you to dinner on your way through New Mexico!

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » September 14th, 2012, 11:44 am

I actually am going to be headed through... (looks at Rotten's name... wonders what would be served....) Montana. Yeah. Montana. :))

-Prommy

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 14th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Yay Prom! I knew the Shrubs would be out to support you in your endeavors. And of course, Lokke and I look forward to meeting you on your journey through (near?) Hot-lanta!

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » September 14th, 2012, 6:04 pm

I may have lied about being close to Atlanta. :"> I blame google maps as it defaults to the straight route 40. My route actually takes me pretty far north of Atlanta along 74 through Knoxville as I can stay off the main highways for a pretty decent chunk of the country that way. :(

-Prommy

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 14th, 2012, 6:10 pm

BAH!

Well, post your itinerary anyway. Maybe I can figure out a way to make a day trip of it!

Moltar
Shrubbite

Post by Moltar » September 14th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Massive undertaking, sir. You have my support and respect.

If you are within 4 hours of South Carolina, I might just meet you at a diner and buy you some well deserved cherry pie.
User Control Panel -> Board preferences -> Edit display options -> Enable word censoring -> No

lostkangaroo
High Prophet

Post by lostkangaroo » September 20th, 2012, 3:35 am

I hope some of these tweets I have been sending out land in some receiving ear canals.

Pneuma001
Shrubbite

Post by Pneuma001 » September 21st, 2012, 6:01 pm

This is really cool Cod... er, Prometheus! I'd make some time for you if you were coming through Phoenix, but then you'd have to be insane to try to walk across Southern Arizona in anything but the dead of winter.

Just saw your route. The walking route does take you through Phoenix. Better make sure to time this correctly or be prepared to re-route through Flagstaff. You're leaving March 10th and planning to take 7-8 months? That'd require 11.025 to 12.614 miles per day average. That would put you in Phoenix between 117 and 203 days into your journey, or between September 3rd and 29th. That's right about this time next year! Its only 96 degrees today. Will you be prepared to walk at night?

Between Buckeye and Quartzsite there's about 107 miles of damn near nothing. How much water will your stroller carry? Will you have straps for carrying external water?

Is your charity Child's Play?

LadyCelestine
Site Admin

Post by LadyCelestine » September 22nd, 2012, 3:57 pm

Still waiting on the new route too! I know you're not going to be walking the highways through the heart of Atlanta. ;)

Prometheus
Shrubbite

Post by Prometheus » September 29th, 2012, 1:53 pm

I have been in Florida the past week and also sick as a dog. I have not had a cold like this in my entire life. I am going on day 12 with it but I think I am nearing the end. To answer some questions... New Mexico, Arizona, the western part of California... These are the parts of the journey that scare me the most. I will not be walking at night persay as that would be unsafe but I will be walking from dawn until the sun is good and up. I will then find a nice place to hide for the day until evening then walk until dark. I could probably carry quite a bit of water. The people I have been talking to who have done this usually carried about two gallons on them. I figure when I hit that part of the world I might triple that and get a camel back to carry a bit more. I also might con my father into flying out to follow me in a chase car... or I might reroute but I run into issues there if I want to end in LA without tacking on 500 plus more miles.

It is hard to plan a solid route as things will change from day to day. I will sadly not be going through Atlanta like I thought I was but will be north of there. Google maps defaults on the wrong route. I have to find a way to fix this. Also I will be mirroring 40 most of the way which does go through Flagstaff and not Pheonix... I am not crazy enough to hit southern AZ.

-Prommy